MINI BUTTERNUT SQUASH PESTO PIZZAS
Prepare squash pizza crust...
(I use Lauren Geertsen's simple & delicious recipe here: http://empoweredsustenance.com/butternut-squash-pizza-crust-gaps-paleo/ )
- Heat a large skillet on medium-low and cover with 1 tsp coconut oil.
- Place beef and pork in medium bowl and mix together with a fork.
- Once combined, add all seasonings but honey.
- Drizzle honey evenly across bowl and mix well.
- Make small, penny-sized sausage balls and drop into skillet.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip for another 4 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Add walnuts and garlic to a food processor, pulse until combined.
- Add parmesan, olive oil, basil, arugula, salt, and lemon juice with five pulses.
- Mix until desired consistency.
- Transfer cooked sausage to small bowl.
- Clean excess grease from skillet.
- Add thinly sliced red onion and mushrooms with a bit of coconut oil to skillet.
- Sauté on medium-low until caramelized.
Once crust has cooked and crisped on both sides, remove from oven. Add pesto, sausage, onion, mushrooms, arugula, goat cheese, and pepitas. Broil on low until cheese has melted then enjoy! Makes 20-25 mini pizzas.
1 Butternut Squash (a long neck works best)
- 1/2 lb grass-fed beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 c parmesan (use nutritional yeast if dairy-free)
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c fresh basil
- 1 c arugula
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c mushrooms
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 c arugula
- 1/3 c goat cheese (optional)
- 1/4 c pepitas (pumpkin seeds)